This is the Future of Gospel
[Originally posted on Amazon.com, November 1, 2005]
Words cannot express the way I feel about this artist and this CD. Kierra “Kiki” Sheard is true music minister. It is astounding that she is only a teenager, but this girl has more anointing in her little pinky than…well, you get what I’m saying. She truly is the future of gospel music. Hailing from the legendary Clark family, Kiki continues in their excellent tradition of lifting up the name of Jesus in song.
1. “You Don’t Know” – This song has grown on me. It’s not my favorite, but I love the way she incorporates the Clark Sisters’ “You Brought the Sunshine” melody into the bridge.
2. “Let Go” – This song by far is my favorite. Kiki’s voice is amazing! I can’t believe how high she sings on it without sounding screechy. It’s got a powerful message about persevering through hardship, and she throws in a riff a la Dorinda at the end.
3. “Church Nite” – Cute song, good lyrics, and stellar singing as always.
4. “Closer” – Great song about getting closer to God.
5. “Praise Offering” – Oh my goodness. If you do not feel the Holy Spirit when you hear this song, you are not saved! For real! This song gives me chills. It is so heartfelt, sincere, and beautiful. Just listen.
6. “Sweetest Thing” – My favorite line of the song is: “He’s the man in my life, and He always makes things right.” Sweet song about Jesus being the lover of you soul. It was also produced by her younger brother.
7. “War” – Another song produced by Kiki’s younger brother. Powerful.
8. “All I Am” – Very smooth and soothing.
9. “Done Did It”-Get ready to have some more church. Girlfriend goes to town on this one.
10. “So Long” – Not my fave, but still good.
11. “Snap” – Tonex delivers on this thumping, hard-hitting track. It’s very Tonex-if you’re familiar with his work, then you know what I mean.
This is just such a wonderful CD. I encourage you to go out and buy it right now! You won’t be sorry.